Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Our weekend alone

What an interesting weekend it was. We had great plans. The weather has been absolutely beautiful lately. Warm and sunny. Trees are starting to bloom. Spring is in the air. My parents left town for 10 days. My sister went out of town on business and her kids spent the weekend with their dad. It was me and the kids and it sounded like the perfect time to just relax and enjoy each other. I was planning to catch up with some friends I haven’t seen in years. As always, things didn’t quite work out as planned.

On Thursday night Ivor started running a fever that persisted into Friday morning. Fortunately, just days before I finally managed to get kids’ health insurance taken care of so we didn’t have to worry about that. Turns out that Ivor got Scarlet fever. That just didn’t sound so good but the doctor didn’t seem overly concerned. She gave me antibiotics for Ivor and, as a preventative measure, for the other three children in the household as well. I was also told that Ivor needs to stay home for at least 10 days. Since I work from home, kids staying at home always spells trouble. On top of everything, I had to give both kids medicine every 8 hours, meaning that I would have to wake them during the night. Both of them! Little kids aren’t very happy when someone wakes them at night. Especially if that little kid’s name is Mia.

Next two days were quite interesting. Ivor did OK during the day but nights were a little different. He threw up that first night. Then he couldn’t settle down to sleep, moaning all night and talking in his sleep (at least I think that he was asleep). Second night he did the same but not as much. So, our weekend was rather uneventful and spent at home trying to get better. Ivor has recovered so much that he’s literally bouncing off the walls and is giggling and running around like crazy. He’s very pleased with himself because he gets to stay at home while Mia doesn’t. He also spends his day pestering me for the internet connection so he could play games online. He just can’t quite grasp why I would need it and what that means that I need it for work. Now I am looking forward to him going back to daycare so I can resume some kind of a normal schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment