Monday, November 12, 2007

At the cash register

Continuing my string of money-related posts...

When making a purchase in Croatia, we frequently use cash. Especially for smaller purchases. I often find it annoying and here is why...

All cashiers, as a part of some great conspiracy it seems, absolutely always ask you for a particular combination of currency so they can give you back perfect change. For example, assume that the cost is 7.30 kunas and you pay with a 10 kuna denomination. Instead of just getting change you will instantly get a question whether you have 2.30 kunas in change so they can give you a single 5 kuna coin back. I've had cashiers give me annoyed looks because they noticed that I had smaller denomination bills or coins in my wallet and I still paid with a different bill. They'd even point out that I could pay with a different bill. I however like to keep those to pay parking and to go to the bakery. I just can't describe to you how annoying this is.

I wanted to see how US cashiers stacked up. Believe it or not, cashiers here are cool cucumbers. Not a single one asked me for specific change. They just gave me back exactly what I was owed regardless of what combination of change they had to give me back. At Taco Bell yesterday my purchase was $5.01. Without missing a beat I was refunded exactly $4.99. I don't think it even occurred to them to ask me if I had a single penny on me. I have to say that I liked that. In Croatia they would have asked you if you have that one penny. If not then they would just let you get away with it and not pay it. On the other hand, frequently if you're owed 1-3 lipas (equivalent of a penny) as change, you typically will not get it back. Yes, I am very anal and find that annoying too. Money is money I think and I don't like them rounding off the cost.

2 comments:

  1. you are American, that's why for you 'Money is money'!! this summer we stayed for 3 weeks in Croatia and we found bizarre the way of giving you change back (and it's only 4 years that I'm away) At the same times it's chouette (great), isn't it???

    bises from Dijon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have to agree with you. :)

    ReplyDelete