Sunday, April 15, 2007

Funny names

I've been more aware of meanings of people's last names since I've moved back. I don't know why but many struck me as quite funny. Perhaps since I haven't heard many in a long time. The major of Zagreb (largest city in Croatia) for example, has a last name of Bandic. In my (unprofessional) translation, that would be something like "ganger" (as in gang member). How appropriate is that for a city major! :) The country's president, Mesic, would be translated something like "meaty." Then I read an article about plastic surgery. The guy mentioned in the article has a last name of Dzepina, which would mean "huge pocket." That one certainly beats the rest.

2 comments:

  1. You used to be Spider Woman, right? I bet Ivor would think that was pretty cool. Galya was the 'Miller's Assistant'. Our English last names can be pretty boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. The root of my last name means spider so spider woman sounds good. I don't think that English last names are boring though. I translated last name Potter (as in Harry Potter) to people here into Loncar and everyone got a good chuckle. It's all kind of funny when you actually think about those names. :)

    ReplyDelete